– As in every single year since it began, Mariví and her FesTeLõn team have fought to put on a festival that’s unique in London and to present an energetic, original programme full of professionals who are passionate about the theatre. Everyone who has participated in this edition of the festival has given us a lesson of how to do something well. Without that dedication, this very special festival would simply not happen.
I would say that FesTeLõn is a work of love. But it’s actually something much more. One person’s dream and enthusiasm brought it into the world and it became an open and innovative theatrical platform in which young performers and writers share a programme with expert and well-known professionals. It’s the event we all impatiently look forward to every year so that we can enjoy plays and performances in London that connect us to writers of Spanish literature. This is really important for those of us who don’t live in Spain. What’s more, we look forward to FesTeLõn every year so that we can meet up with friends and give them a hug and a kiss at a festival that brings us together and strengthens our identity.
Thank you, FesTeLõn! Thank you Mariví! Let’s hope you get the support you need so that FesTeLõn can carry on.
– Este año, como cada año desde sus comienzos, Mariví y su equipo de FesTeLõn han luchado para poner en marca un festival que es único en Londres y presentar un programa lleno de energía, originalidad y con profesionales apasionados por el teatro. Una lección de buen hacer por parte de todos los que han colaborado en esta edición del festival, los de dentro y los de fuera. Sin esa dedicación este festival tan especial no podría llevarse a cabo.
FesTeLõn es una obra de amor, diría yo. Pero en realidad es mucho más. Es la criatura que vimos nacer del entusiasmo y el sueño de una persona hasta llegar a convertirse en la plataforma teatral innovadora y abierta en la que jóvenes intérpretes y autores comparten programa con conocidos y expertos profesionales. Es el evento que esperamos con impaciencia cada año para poder disfrutar en Londres de obras y actuaciones que nos conectan con autores de la literatura española, algo tan necesario para quienes vivimos fuera de España. Pero, además, para nosotros, FesTeLõn es el momento que esperamos cada año para reencontrarnos con amigos y compartir abrazos y besos en un espacio que nos une y que fortalece nuestras señas de identidad.
¡Gracias FesTeLõn!, ¡Gracias Mariví¡. Ojalá recibas el apoyo que necesitas para que FesTeLõn siga adelante.
Dave y Mati FesTeLõn 11 edición 2023)
– Muchísimas gracias, Mariví, por hacer posible FeSTeLón otra temporada más (!y ya van 11), y deleitarnos con un programa repleto de actividades – Teatro, Charlas, Talleres, FeSTeLOFF… – y poder nutrirnos con el mejor Teatro Español y Cultura Española, sin salir de Londres. Gracias por tu amor e interés altruista hacia el Teatro, y por ser tan buen ejemplo, ya que, a pesar de las extremas dificultades, nos demuestras año tras año que, si es necesario, es posible: Festival de Teatro Español de Londres – FeSTeLón – Festival of Spanish Theatre in London. Gracias.
Vidal Sancho, Actor. (FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
This year was my first encounter with FesTeLõn- I attended a short play called The ´S´is Silent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated being able to learn more about Spain´s painful history from a different perspective and, of course, through the fun of theatre! It provided both an engaging and stimulating learning experience, and I look forward to seeing what´s on offer next year!¨
(Simran Patel- Age 24-)(FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
– It was a pleasure to participate in and attend this year’s FesTeLon, the festival is truly a hidden gem. I also had the pleasure of interpreting a truly interesting talk by Ángel Murcia about Madrid and its cultural policies. The atmosphere was lovely and everyone was very engaged during the Q&A, which ended up being a very interesting and rich conversation between the speaker and the audience. I’m looking forward to the next edition of the festival.
Angie – (FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
– This year I was lucky enough to see Man and Canvas, written and directed by Alberto Iglesias, at FesTeLõn. It’s fantastic because it’s art on two different fronts: theatre and painting. The actor and artist, Javier Ruiz de Alegría faces a blank canvas and attempts to discover who he actually is through a monologue on life itself with all its ups and downs. Each painting turns into a new self-portrait which is different every time and is painted live. Each brush stroke varies, according to the actor’s state of mind. It was delightful to be able to talk to him at the Q & A session after the show. Really delightful. FesTeLõn itself is an absolute delight too, a magical space where you can see fantastic productions. More than anything else, what really stands out is Mariví’s passion and commitment. She puts her heart and soul into creating this magical world.
Celia Maza – (FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
– Este año tuve la oportunidad de ver en FesTeLõn, El hombre y el lienzo, una maravilla porque es arte por partida doble: teatro y pintura. Escrita y dirigida por Alberto Iglesias, el actor y pintor Javier Ruiz de Alegría se enfrenta a un lienzo vacio tratando de descubrir quién es a través de un monólogo sobre la vida misma con todas sus luces y sombras. Cada obra da lugar a un nuevo autorretrato, diferente cada vez pintado en directo. Cada pincelada varía, según el ánimo del intérprete. Fue un regalo poder hablar luego con él en el debate íntimo que se creó tras finalizar la función. Todo un regalo. FesTeLõn es eso, un gran regalo para el arte de la dramaturgia. Me parece un espacio mágico. Lo que se ven son grandes producciones. Aunque lo que yo destacaría por encima de todo es la pasión y entrega de Marivi que año tras año pone toda su alma para este sueño.
Celia Maza – (FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
– Thank you Festelôn for this wonderful and exceptional chance to see such powerful and meaningful performances in such intimate spaces. It is such a treat. We love the work that you do and can’t wait to see the next one. Keep up the amazing effort, passion and hard work that you put into it.
Marta and Iñigo – (FesTeLõn 11th edition 2023)
– It was my first time going to the Festelon, and I loved it. The atmosphere was incredible, people were super friendly and interesting, and hearing so much Spanish made me feel like I was in Spain again. I am definitely going back next year!
– Saturday (Dec 17th,2022) Clowning Workshop. For starters this workshop was welcoming and fun while unintentionally intellectually rich. As I reflect on the day, the instructor challenged me in ways I did not expect and never used those moments to be little or lecture me , but encouraged me to remember the focus of the exercise. Secondly, there was well balance of time on individuals and partners exercise. Lastly and my only criticism of the workshop is a summarize moment at end to go over what was taught.
Thank you for this workshop and I look forward to finding a course to further develop this skill.
– “Do you remember your first visit to a live performance? Do you recall the anticipation as you
took your seat? More often than not you would have been quite young – perhaps attending
a school play or local theatre event in a small hall. Most of us still remember that day vividly,
and would love to re-live it.
The 7 th edition of the Festival of Spanish Theatre of London – FESTELON – in October 2019
offers you just the opportunity to recapture the thrill of that first live performance. Its venue the John Lyon’s Theatre, in the heart of London’s bustling Covent Garden, is a compact
and intimate haven, providing every spectator with an unrestricted and close-up view of the
stage, close enough indeed to follow every move and every changing feature of the
performer. Students of Spanish language and culture living in and around London thus have
a unique opportunity to familiarise themselves with Spanish theatre as produced and
performed on stages in Spain itself. The performers themselves are well-known Spanish
actors, making the whole FESTELON experience truly authentic, whilst for those who might
feel that their command of the language could prove inadequate to follow each and every
word, the organisers have provided excellent subtitles in English.
The Festival is enhanced by a series of talks and workshops in or close to the John Lyon’s
Theatre. These cover elements relevant to the plays being performed and are presented in
Spanish by well-known Spanish producers or experts with interpretation into English. The
2018 event included themes such as Spanish Golden Age Theatre and Baroque Theatre.
My first acquaintance with this remarkable initiative, led by Marivi Rodriguez Quinones, was
in 2017, when as a (more than) mature student of Spanish I attended with a group of like-
minded enthusiasts. This led me to repeat the experience in 2018 and the dates of the
October 2019 edition have been in my diary since they were announced. If you are a
student or aficionado of Spain, its language and its culture, FESTELON is a must for you.”
“Thank you so much for an unforgettable evening at the theatre. The students were absolutely delighted by the experience! We hope to do the same again at next year’s festival, and with more students if possible. Kind regards.” (Head of Spanish, Secondary School in London)
‘I always come to the Festival of Spanish Theatre in London and every year, at every play, I feel privileged, it truly is an amazing experience.’
An audience member after seeing ‘Himmelweg: Way to Heaven.’ At FesTeLõn 2018 – ‘A very clever observation and take of the challenging times. All three actors were superb! The venue was great and the staff very welcoming and friendly. Highly recommend and I do not speak Spanish.’
‘A very interesting play. It is great to have the Festival of Spanish Theatre in London, may it continue for years to come!’
‘I really appreciated the workshop that accompanied the play. The workshop allowed me to understand the main meanings of the play, it made it accessible and very interesting, so much so that I wanted to see the play afterwards.’
‘This was my first play in Spanish – a wonderful experience. Thank you!’
A review following Pepe Viyuela’s talk at FesTeLõn 2018 ‘What Pepe Viyuela does is an wonderful thing – what a great pleasure to hear him share his experiences’.
Me ha encantado! Bravo!
Please do this festival twice a year!! Sóis fantásticos! VIVA EL TEATRO!
Excellent! Enjoyed the Q&A enormously!
I had felt reluctant about seeing a play based on a Spanish poem written 100s of years ago. The workshop allowed me to “enter” the Main meanings of the poem, it made it accessible and very interesting, so much that I wanted to see the play afterwards.
The workshop was engaging and inclusive, and the workshop leaders gave everyone an opportunity to contribute and learn, whatever Their level in Spanish. I would recommed the workshop to anyone hesitant about seeing the play.
My first play in Spanish – a wonderful experience! Thank you!
More often! It was great, thank you!
Enhorabuena! Keep it going every year!
Loved every minute
Very enjoyable. Thank you
Wonderful evening. It reminded me often at how children will see and discover the world. This innocent wondering about how things work was brilliantly presented and made the audience laugh out throughout the evening. The artist’s facial expressions are amaizng – that’s pure talent!
Was a good enjoyable event. It was a shame I booked for the 3.00pm performance only to discover it was a lecture but the company was good and agreed I could come back for the performance in the evening instead which was good.
Very funny performance, ingenuous and engaging. Pepe Viyuela was very expressive and with few words could communicate so much. How much can you get from a guitar and a ladder?